Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Diablo 3 Beta Too Easy?


So I played the Diablo 3 Beta this past weekend as it was the "free" weekend for everyone to test it out. I don't think I was able to get on for a few hours because as soon as the servers opened, it crashed. I was pissed as usual, wanting to try out this game that everyone anticipated. I am new to Diablo, never played the earlier ones, surprisingly. But, I did play the hell out of Torchlight (still awaiting the second one to show its face sometime soon here...), and I loved Torchlight. I could sit there and play that game for hours.

So after finally getting into the Beta, I wasn't at all surprised to see striking similarities to Torchlight, as I had been told it was quite similar. Matter of fact, it was so similar that I adapted right away. Anyways, a lot of people complained this weekend that Diablo 3 was too easy.

Let me remind you, it was just the beta and Blizzard was probably waiting nervously to hear everyone's reaction, so changes could still be made. And it was only the first three acts, hardly enough to get a good grasp on the game's true difficulty. Yes, it was ridiculously easy finding health, even easier than Torchlight. A health bottle spawns from almost every monster killed, and most times I found I didn't have to use the Healing Wells. I had about 80 bottles of health potion by the second act; okay I get it, it seemed a little easy. But that's not going to stop me from purchasing it later not only to beat it on my own, but to play online with others and beat it again. Games like that can easily become addicting, because it's nice to not have to think so hard about a video game, like those pesky puzzles in Silent Hill. I kept wanting to better my weapon, better my armor, better better BETTER! Because there's always a better weapon, a better potion, or a better piece of armor, and that drives me to keep going.

My overall thoughts on the free Beta weekend are generally positive, and I look forward to purchasing the game when I'm not a piss-poor college student, tossing away the last of my money on Steam weekend sales.

Photo credit: Icrontic.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment