Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Maximo: Ghosts To Glory Is the Hardest F#$@ing Game...EVER!


I purchased a PS2 controller recently because my pet rabbit chewed through the other one and I haven't been able to play my PS2 games since. It's a pretty shoddy controller, nothing special. I stumbled upon this game at the used video game shop, a game loosely based upon the (drumroll) Sega Genesis's Ghouls N' Ghosts. I was so thrilled I could hardly breathe. I raced home and played...and spent the next half hour screaming at the TV and slamming my fist onto the floor (I was too excited to hop back on the couch). This goddamn game is so goddamn hard.

Okay, I've played hard games. I've played games that are hard for many different reasons, but this game just doesn't get better. First off, I think something is wrong with the controller. Last night my character ran all the time so escaping zombies when I didn't want to fight was easy. But today, he would walk...and run...and walk...and run...depending how I moved the analog. I raged and I raged. Next, my flying shields capability is supposed to be activated by pressing Circle, but it doesn't work. I raged and pressed off the analog button and there shot my flying shields?? So, my analog on/off button shoots my shields, which is in a ridiculously hard spot when in battle. Yes, I need a new controller, but that didn't stop me. I kept playing, instead using the D-Pad so that my character ran constantly. I felt I was doing better and getting the hang of things. Maximo really blows at combat. He throws a couple swings with his sword, and pauses before he can throw another one, which gives an open window for zombies and skeletons and the like to get a hit on me. Oh man, this makes me MAD! "Do what I tell you, mother@#$%#$!" The vulgarities increased with each death.

Unlike the old Ghouls N' Ghosts, Maximo only gives you one continue whereas G N' G was an infinite amount of continues. If it were not infinite, yes, it would be as hard as this game. In Maximo, there isn't much chance for a collection of lives either. It's "don't get hit" and you're safe. Yeah, good luck with that. It isn't a side scroller where all you have to do is look forward and behind and above for things coming at you, but zombies and ghosts/birds (that CANNOT be killed...) are coming at you from all directions. The damn red bird steals your money while the zombies and ghosts beat you silly.

It's great the music is remixed from the old G N' G, but it's not enough to calm my anger. First thing I am going to do is get a new controller and try again. Maybe if I have my flying shield, it won't be so goddamn tough.

Check out IGN's little blip on the game here
IGN Ranked it Number 6 in Top 10 Hardest PS2 Games

No comments:

Post a Comment