Thursday, May 3, 2012

SSX: Deadly Descent, Unsure of My Feelings


I saw this trailer and I wasn't sure what to think. Being an SSX veteran, I'm used to goofy character design and ridiculous tricks in midair. When I saw this, I felt a little gloomy inside. SSX finally went serious. 

So, yesterday while I was browsing Family Video to pass away the dark ages in my internet-less, cable-less temporary apartment, I saw the new SSX. What the heck, let's try it out. I started playing and besides making characters and maps completely serious and realistic, I liked it a little. Although, I am not so keen on not being able to select a character, though I haven't played with it much and this might come later. I have only played World Tour and the courses are pretty neat, the trick maneuvering is advanced but easy to get a hang of, but eff the windsuit. 

I am not even completely sure what "Team SSX" (as they call themselves now, like cartoon super-secret agents or something) is fighting for besides against their previous teammate Griff who left Team SSX. I honestly don't know where this lame story came from and I have no idea where it's going and how it includes the entire world. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. I just wanted to race. The races are categorized by style, such as trick, race or survival. Each location has a survival subject, like ice or trees. Shopping for new clothes, boards and gear sucks, mainly because you can only view five or so at once and usually they aren't that great. 

So SSX, I am afraid you have sort of let me down. Despite being able to do crazy tricks in midair still, it just doesn't feel the same, even with the song "It's Tricky" playing, remixed, in the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment