Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Job Interview with Riot Games




I think it's safe to talk about this now. As most of you probably do not know, I applied for a Writer position with Riot Games a couple months ago. After forgetting about the application completely, I was emailed and asked to schedule a phone interview with another writer for Riot Games. It was 1AM when I got the email, and when I did, I ran around my apartment screaming like a little girl and jumping up and down on my bed...It's not every day a big-name video game company wants to interview you.

The days leading up to the interview were torture. I spent a lot of hours researching Riot Games...a.k.a playing A LOT of League of Legends. When the interview finally came around, I had constructed a board of interview questions and their answers, so that I could be prepared. This included in-depth research of questions Riot Games has asked candidates in the past. This was my dream job, and despite it being all the way out in bum fuck, California, I still wanted to gain the title "Riot Games Writer." Somehow, amidst all of my research, I forgot to look at the writing on Riot Games' website.

She told me immediately that everyone was really impressed with my resume cover.


She told me it had been circulating around the office and that people loved it. She also loved a quote from my rewrite writing sample, "Grab professionalism by the testes." I was so sure I had it. 

She called me and despite telling me in the email the interview would last 45 minutes, it only lasted about fifteen. And of course, they asked me about the voice of Riot Games writing on the website. I bullshit my way through it. 

Needless to say, I didn't get it. Then again, I didn't want to move all the way to California, but at the same time, it set me up for life and I know I want to be involved with video games somehow, some way. I could be like the other posts I read and bitch about how Riot Games doesn't know how to interview potential employees, how their system for hiring is skewed and the professionalism lacks. But truth is, I had a blast geeking out with the girl on the other end of the line. It's not every day I find someone to geek out with, let alone another female. We went into intense detail about Champions we use, the abilities we admire and Champions we hate. As a Riots employee, I could've gotten a loaded LoL account. I am not exactly sure what that means, but I have a pretty good idea, and just the thought of having that nearly blew my mind. I played against a Riot Employee the other day on LoL and he kicked my ass, probably because his account is LOADED. Despite failing the interview, I wouldn't have wanted to spend those fifteen or so minutes any different. 

 I am currently waiting to hear back about my internship application at Game Informer Magazine. Hey, not everyone can say they caught the attention of and interviewed with a national video game company. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla,
    I am a career counselor at a university and I came across your blog post while researching. I wanted to let you know how impressed I am with how you tackled your resume. I am so sorry you didn't get the job but it appears you are very talented at what you do-don't give up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also applied for a job at Riot (in the audio department, not writing). I had 2 phone interviews and went for an on-site interview yesterday. I already live pretty close to them in California, myself. I found a lot of people talking about the hiring process and how strange it is, yet I do understand what Riot is trying to do. They want to make sure that everyone they hire is really going to be good.

    I think I nailed my interview yesterday, and was told that I may be scheduled for another round of interviews in a week or two (they would let me know for sure within the next couple of days). I left feeling really good about the interview and getting the job, but as the day goes on, I keep getting really nervous. I hope this is just another hiring antic, and not a passive way of not offering me the job!

    Only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOLA88 adalah bandar judi bola dan slot online resmi terpercaya yang semakin moncer dalam stabilitas server serta menyajikan produk terbaru.

    Sbobet
    Bola88

    ReplyDelete