Friday, October 26, 2012

WTF: Silent Hill: Revelations (SPOILERS)



Okay, ready to hear me bitch? I am actually going to start out quite positive. For those who know me, I was going into this movie as critical as ever. After the first film fucked up, I can say I was eager to see how this one would turn out. I haven't played completely through the third game, but I did read a very detailed plot summary to check out the ending and whatnot. So I went into the movie knowing what to expect, basically, what to look for and compare and contrast.

I am going to be completely honest, the beginning of the movie really drew me in. The action was intense and the creatures of Silent Hill were wicked in the best way possible. That same fear I felt playing Silent Hill at night, with the lights turned off and surround sound system on, was the same intensity I felt during the movie. The fact that this film even came close to capturing that fear really impressed me. The first film hardly scared me at all, and it seemed too light and feathery. This movie, just in terms of lighting, was more dark and gory. I loved it.

The ending, well the ending is where things are supposed to get real fucked up. But in this film, this is where the film FUCKS up. It seems like they put all this passion and hard work into the first part of the movie, and as it winded down, they just wanted to get it done and over with. In the game, there is the coolest part when Heather vomits up the evil deity in fetus form and Claudia eats it and births the new evil deity. Heather must defeat it. So cool, right?

Well, this is how the film ends. Apparently, it is announced that Pyramid Head is Alessa's guardian (Alessa is the evil part of Heather and creator of the Darkness in Silent Hill). Claudia, who never ate a fetus that Heather NEVER vomited, turns into a creature after touching this golden key with the Silent Hill crest on it, and proceeds to whack the shit out of Heather. Pyramid Head steps in and blocks the hit and fights for Heather.

BULLSHIT! Pyramid Head is not a fucking guardian, saint, or anything of the sort! Pyramid Head is a manifestation of James' guilt of his wife's death  from the second game! He is BAD! Bad bad bad! By doing this, they may as well have chopped off Pyramid Head's penis and gave him a pillow to throw around rather than his blade. The boss fight lasted...oh not even two minutes...and I swear it looked like a bitch-slap fight. Even the decapitation wasn't that cool. I sat through all of this depressing shit to watch a couple of creatures bitch-slap each other? And watch a badass symbol of Silent Hill become a pussy? Vincent, who dies in the game, survives in the movie and becomes Heather's new boy toy. All is happy...bleh.

Douglas, the private investigator, hardly played a role. In the game, he has a huge role and makes it all the way to the final scene. In the film, they killed him off almost immediately and I sat there wondering, "Why even introduce him if you aren't going to develop his character?" It was completely senseless. People who haven't played the game are probably wondering, "Who the hell was that and why was he in this movie?" If only they knew...Even if you took it as a movie by itself, he looks like he won a walk-on role in some cheesy internet contest.

BUT...the movie quickly made up for it at the VERY end. Heather and Vincent are walking out of Silent Hill, and despite endangering her life for her father, she seems completely and oddly cool with the fact that he decided to stay in Silent Hill to look for his wife (from the first film). As they are walking, they flag down a semi and hitch a ride with the driver. He introduces himself as Travis Grady. I nearly jumped out of my seat.


I let out a hearty laugh...no one else laughed. Travis Grady was the semi driver from Silent Hill Homecoming who picked up Alex Shepard to bring him into town. The next one had me really laugh.


I notice as they are driving, sirens are coming in the distance. I just figured they were going to investigate all of the deaths and weirdness of Silent Hill. Lo and behold, in between these sirens was a prison bus. Fuck yeah! I threw my head back in laughter...and no one else laughed. I wanted to turn around and say, "Come ON guys! It's that bus! From the last Silent Hill game!" It was Murphy's prison bus from Silent Hill Downpour, which cleverly explained the discontinued falling ash in that game (the ash stopped falling when Heather and everyone escaped and the creature was defeated). In Downpour, it is only fog and the "otherworld" never shows itself. It was this film that made it make sense to me. It blew my mind, and I applaud them for that.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied. Despite the pussy fight and ending, the very ending left a good taste in my mouth and the intensity of the fear and creature design blew the first Silent Hill out of the water. As a diehard Silent Hill gamer, I can openly say I highly recommend this movie to other gamers. It is quite entertaining when you aren't analyzing the shit out of it.

2 comments:

  1. I warmly smiled when Travis was shown (it didn't really surprise me because as soon as the truck showed up and stopped to pick up Heather and Vincent, I kind of expected Travis; for some reason, my mind recognized him and didn't find it strange for him to be in there), but when I saw Murphy's bus, I nearly jumped out of my seat. My mom, as incredible as it sounds, enjoys Silent Hill, but knows nothing about the movie. So she just kinda stared at me in confusion when I was completely nerding out while saying "Oh my God! Murphy!!"
    I really enjoyed Downpour, and I wanted to see a movie adaption, if only for seeing the Bogeyman on the big screen. There's something about that guy that makes him even more brooding and sinister, for me, than Pyramid Head (I do love both of them, though.)
    That being said, I HATED that they put Heather with Vincent at the ending. It's like even horror games need goddamn romance stories nowadays, Jesus. I like Vincent, but I was honestly hoping that he'd die so that wouldn't happen. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Meh.
    I had no problem with Pyramid Head being Heather's "savior", though, as Heather IS Alessa and anything from inside Silent Hill should technically obey her, I think. I thought Pyramid Head wasn't exclusively James', since he has been dubbed Silent Hill's "Executioner" of sorts (and shown as such in many paintings seen in the city), and also appeared for Alex in SH Homecoming. I think he only acts in specific ways to punish and disturb the victim in hand (which would explain him raping those mannequins only in SH 2, since it would disturb James and Angela - it DOES however, disturb anyone that doesn't have a particularly creepy mannequin fetish, or at least I hope so), therefore fulfilling his role as Silent Hill's "punisher"
    He was undeniably more badass in the first movie, IMO, but I still enjoyed this one more than the first, even if I do miss Jodelle; but all the actors did great and the movie itself was really well-made. And those cameos at the end couldn't be more satisfying for a Silent Hill fan <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Sorry, I meant to say my mom doesn't know anything about the GAMES, not the movies XD

    ReplyDelete