Monday, October 8, 2012

Perks of Working at a Video Store: Let's Talk "Dishonored"



Last night while working at my second job, I opened the drawer of the new releases (yet to be shelved for debut on Tuesday) and saw Dishonored. We, as employees, are allowed to rent out movies and video games before they are released, so I took it upon myself to take advantage of this opportunity. The only problem was, it was Sunday and it had to be back by Midnight tomorrow. And did I mention, it's free?

So yes, Dishonored. The premise of the game is, you're a guy who just got fucked over hard, and now the Empress is dead, you're getting framed for her murder and it's up to you to rescue the Empress's daughter, wherever the hell she may be. There is a God-like being called The Outsider who marks you and grants you supernatural powers, including things like possession and teleportation of a sort. Your abilities depend on the amount of mana you have, and what abilities you have depend on how many runes you find. So many runes buy you more abilities. In a time of the plague, the rats and fish are dangerous to you. The rats move in packs and you will see them gnawing on a corpse every once in a while. I was attacked by a pack of rats while trying to spin a wheel to open a door, which was a bitch, because every time they attacked me, I dropped the door.

The makeup of the environment is pretty cool, and includes steampunk-esque setting in the dank depression of a dark time. It's almost medieval--with a twist. You have a string of secret allies backing you up, who provide you weapons like crossbows and guns and swords. You are almost always carrying two weapons: more than likely a sword in the right hand, and in the left hand it can change anywhere from a weapon to an ability. With your creepy, iron mask, you are 100% badass.

From what I played, the story, setting and gameplay all rated pretty high in my book and I highly recommend this game to those interested in like Metro2033 and Fallout.

No comments:

Post a Comment