Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Silent Hill Book Of Memories (PS Vita): Good or Bad?



I know a lot of people, fans, are upset about this, claiming it isn't like Silent Hill. It just needs to be clarified this is not a Silent Hill game, per say. It's a spin-off, a completely different game using the Silent Hill environment.

Silent Hill as an RPG is...troubling. It's no longer third-person or one-player, but co-op. I am still deciding myself if this is a good move or a bad move and how I feel about the interface of the game. At first reaction, I am excited because I love creating my own character in WoW and then adventuring off into the world carrying out quests, and when you change that world into the Silent Hill world, well I'm downright ecstatic.

On the other hand...the true Silent Hill fan in me is crying. What have you done with my Silent Hill? First Downpour was a huge letdown, after months of waiting, and now this, an RPG Silent Hill. No, it's not a Silent Hill game, BUT an RPG Silent Hill where you can create your own generic victim and trounce around Silent Hill battling the same creatures over and over. The horror has been taken out of Silent Hill and replaced with a new horror; Silent Hill is no longer scary! Maybe the rest of Youtube can sum up what I am trying to say:




As you can see, I am pretty torn. I think the Silent Hill lover in me has gone numb. The mourning process began a long time ago and I just sort of gave up after Downpour. Someone needs to start a completely new horror series that doesn't COMPLETELY SUCK BALLS! For once, I'd like a video game to scare me like Silent Hill used to. Currently, our society is struggling with the concept of "originality" in the media in terms of movies and video games. We keep making sequels, knock-off series, etc. Why won't someone use their brain and throw down an original concept that will scare the hell out of us? Zombies are overdone, ghosts haven't been used in the right way yet, and gory creatures from Hell need to have a seriously creative comeback. I admit, it's hard to depict ghosts as villains in video games without cheesing out. If you check out the video game I talked about in an earlier post, about being a 2-year old in a haunted house, that is what I am talking about. Creativity. All the paranormal games are I-Spy crap and point and click cheeseballs. I want action, terror, gore. I found this in Nightmare House 2, a Half-Life 2 mod. But I want MORE. How about that Japanese game, Fatal Frame? Now that's scary shit. I bought the second game for my Xbox 360 and it still scares the hell out of me, mostly because I play it at night with high volume and the lights turned off. That's what I am talking about. Squeeze out the American cheese from our video games, throw in some foreign folklore and create the story. I don't know if it's because Americans can't get scared anymore like we used to, or if our creativity sucks, but I am still looking for that new video game that really gives me a scare, to replace the hole in my heart where Silent Hill used to make its home.

No comments:

Post a Comment